The Inaugural Children’s Fossil Competition by The Etches Collection is open for entries!
Have you ever found a fossil? Maybe you have a collection of fossils? Have you ever wondered what it would be like to have your fossil on display at a fossil museum where thousands of visitors will get to see it?
Are you a child aged between 5-16 who lives in the UK? If your answer is a big YES to all those questions, then The Etches Collection – Museum of Jurassic Marine Life in Dorset has launched an exciting competition. They are partnering with the wonderful people at PetroStrat to bring you The Inaugural Children’s Fossil Competition 2022!
Here is a little bit more about the Children’s Fossil Competition…
- This competition is for children to earn the chance to display their fossil finds alongside the collection on display at The Etches Collection – Museum of Jurassic Marine Life.
- The competition has two age ranges 5-10 and 11-16. There are 6 winners in total, 3 from each age range.
- Every child who enters the competition will gets a personal annual pass to the museum. (Valid from September 1st 2022 – September 1st 2023.)
- The competition will be open to all UK residents between 5 and 16 years old. (Must have parent/guardian permission to enter)
- The competition window is open from Monday 28 March until Friday, 5 August 2022. Children will have time to submit their entry form along with a written paper, presentation or video explaining where the fossil was discovered, what it is and why they believe it should be on display at the museum. No fossils are to be submitted at this stage in the process.
- We wholeheartedly encourage families to lend their support to a child’s entry into the competition. Especially in relation to the technical/digital support, such as email and creating viewable files.
Winners will be notified via email by August 22nd and then arrangements will be made for their winning fossil to be collected via third party courier. Applicants (parents/guardians) are responsible for the packaging of their fossil, making sure it is secure for transport. The costs will be covered by The Etches Collection and the competition’s sponsors PetroStrat. Please note that The Etches Collection or PetroStrat will not be responsible for any lost or damaged items.
The six winners will have their fossil on display at the museum for 12 months (September 2022 – September 2023). The winners and their family will have the opportunity to visit the museum and receive a free annual family pass for entrance to the museum. (2 Adults, 2 Children, usual price £20). They will meet Dr Steve Etches, MBE and talk about their fossil. There will be photo opportunities and they will receive a special certificate. Winners will be displayed on all social and digital media platforms. We will highlight the winners’ schools too. All submissions will receive an e-certificate of appreciation for their efforts.
Please note, we encourage all fossil collecting to be done within the recommended safety and conservation guidelines. This is our guide to safely collecting fossils: Fossil Collecting Code — The Etches Collection
Find out more and how to enter here